Last night my new roommate arrived, a boy named Andrew who had stayed here all of Fall Semester then went to visit family in Columbia. He is from the states but his family is all Columbian. It was nice to have someone my age to talk to for awhile, and this kid is rather amusing. He, and two other girls at the hostel, are going to college here in Quito.
Today I got up early to get ready for my first day of work. I was pretty proud of my ability to take the bus, but had accidentally passed the street I needed while walking and ended up walking a lot more than I should have. I finally found the place after about a half hour of walking. It is indeed right next to a pirate ship, which is really strange. Paula (my manager) said she thought it might be a bar or something, it had just been built last year. The building that vivatravelguides is in is quite nice. I met another one of the interns, John, it was his first day as well. He is from near Toronto in Canada. Everyone seems really nice, and really helpful. Nearly all of the people are native english speakers, which was comforting. As much as I would like to be fluent, it is nice to be able to understand everyone. All morning we had orientation, then we went out for lunch. For 2.50 we got a soup, main course of chicken and rice, a dessert, and juice. Not bad. After lunch with Paula we began doing actual work. It looks as though I will spend much of my time researching, writing and fact checking. So far I think I wil really enjoy it. By six today, I was pretty exhausted, but that is probably due to me still adjusting to the altitude and my life here.
I successfully took the bus home without any issues. It only costs a quarter and the ride home only takes 15 minutes or so. I stopped and bought some sort of ramen noodles, not bad but not good. I really need to find an actual market tomorrow. Now I am just relaxing, to be honest the day has left me pretty exhausted.
Tomorrow another day of work, then finding a market probably. Pretty exciting. But yes things are going pretty well so far.
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)
2 comentarios:
wow! it sounds like you are doing quite well for your first couple of days. it is a good thing that you have been able to meet people right away and also that most people speak english. i remember how frustrating it was those first few days in oaxaca when trying to speak spanish with our familia. that must be a big relief right now! :) have fun tomorrow!
very nice! that's rad that everything's so cheap, lol.
Publicar un comentario