lunes, 23 de abril de 2007

Turning Ecuadorian

I fear I may have officially been in Ecuador for too long for a couple of reasons.

One. I'm cold. Not just a little chilly, but freezing. I used to laugh at the Ecuadorians in their heavy coats and scarfs, now I am wishing I would have brought a couple more sweaters. Part of the problem is the fact that it is the rainy season so it's wet, which makes the cold feel worse. But really it's not even that bad. Today I was complaining to a friend back home about the cold, he asked how cold it was, so I looked online. It was 59 degrees.

Two. So when I first got here one of the things that annoyed me the most was the fact that when you ask someone for directions, if they don't know what you are talking about they just make something up. So if you are lost you need to ask someone every block or so to ensure you are getting the right story. So on Friday on my walk to work a car pulls up, with two Ecuadorian business men, who I presume were from out of town. Excuse me, how do we get to Amazonas from here. Oh yeah Amazonas, just go straight for a couple of blocks and take a right. Blatent lie. I mean, it is sort of that way, but the streets are rather winding here and it is definitely not that easy. I was just so flattered someone asked me I did not want to admit I had no idea. I told my coworkers I did this, and they of course found it hilarious. At least I am not on Ecuadorian time yet, that will be the final straw. Ecuadorians are sloooow and late for everything, it drives me nuts.

Another random thing I noticed again today, and think is interesting. When you go to a mall, or big store, where there is a parking garage they give you a ticket. At first I thought it was to record the time you arrived for payment later. However, I then asked an Ecuadorian about it. Apparantly you are supposed to bring the ticket with you inside, and when you leave you need to give it to the attendant to prove that it is your car. Basically it is a measure to help stop car theives. I guess it is a good idea, but it is definitely a bit strange.

No hay comentarios: