miércoles, 18 de abril de 2007

Besos

Yesterday a conversation I had with Luis during my spanish class reminded me of something that I had mean to write about, but had forgotten about: los besos, or kisses. I am not sure how we got on the topic, I believe we were gossiping about my friends back home. He loves to gossip, and frankly it's a good way for me to practice my spanish. I think we were talking about crushes, or something silly like that, and he was like at least if you have a crush you get to kiss them hello and goodbye right? I was like no, never in the United States. He did not believe me. It took me forever to convince him this was how it was in the United States, to which he replied, oh that is why my new students are sometimes a bit taken back when I lean in the kiss them hello.

You see, in Ecuador, and most of Latin America really, the proper way to greet someone is a kiss on each cheek. Really you just kind of touch cheeks and make a kissing sound. For me, it is a little strange, since I am not a paticularily touchy person, but once you get used to it, its actually kind of nice. It is a sign of respect and friendship. Not many people in my office obey the kiss rule, but Andres comes in every morning to greet us. Also Santiago sometimes comes and says goodbye, but no major kissing.

The best is when you go to a gathering that is all Ecuadorians. You are expected to go around the room and kiss everyone. Boys don't have to kiss other boys, but girls have to kiss everyone. You can sometimes get out of this if you are a gringo, but its looked down upon.

One time when Jorge drove me home and his friends were with him, probably 5 guys and me in the car. We got to my house and I was about to just jump out when the one next to me leaned in to say goodbye. Crap. So I had to manuver around the car to give each one of them a goodbye kiss. So annoying. Another time I was with Tania and her friend and we ran into his two cousins. They gave us kisses, talked to us for about 2 minutes, then gave a goodbye kiss. Ridiculous.

Talking with Luis about it was interesting though, because I think it is absurd sometimes, and for him the idea of not doing is completely foreign to him. I joked to him that when I go home I will greet some of my guy friends like that and send him the pictures of their shocked, whoa Erin get away from me, expressions.

Anyways just an interesting cultural difference.

Tonight I went to a concert at a bar, that ended up being sort of rock/heavy metal. The Ecuadorians were all headbanging, and jumping around, it was pretty hilarious. My favorite was this boy who looked maybe 15 who was with his mom, and they were both dancing during the entire concert. Well I should get to bed, another day of work tomorrow.

No hay comentarios: