lunes, 12 de marzo de 2007

Weekends always go fast, but I swear they go even faster here. On Friday a bunch of people from work went to a bar in Guapalo, which is this really pretty part of town up on the side of a mountain. It started out a quiet evening, but slowly more people from work and their friends started to come and by the end of the night there were probably 15 or 20 of us. It turned out to be a really nice evening. Saturday I was pretty lazy all day. At night I went out to eat with a couple of people from work to a tapas place, which ended up being pretty good. I was just glad to eat something besides rice and chicken. God I had no idea anyone could eat so much rice. Every meal is seriously about three fourths of a plate of rice. Oh and then you usually get some potato salad thing, and a little meat. Ecuadorians love carbohydrates.

Sunday I took the bus to Parque Elijdo, where there is always an art fair during the weekends. I looked at some paintings, and then walked around until I found a place to eat (without rice). I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around, I seriously walked across most of the town. It was nice though, because it helped me figure out better where things are. When I am in the car with people I see places, but sometimes have a hard time placing exactly where they are in relation to the places I know. I even found an Applebees, I thought that was sort of funny. Then last night I went over to Jorge's apartment, and him, a few of his friends, and I watched a movie. He thought it was a comedy, but it ended up being really dark. It was Argentinean, and about this couple whose marriage is falling apart. A real upper...haha. It was interesting, and good since it was in spanish.

I have been trying to make myself use spanish more. I have been watching the Simpsons every day (it is on when I eat supper) and then the news. Obviously I don't get everything, but it is helpful. There is real political turmoil here, so the news is usually really interesting. Basically the people don't like who is in congress and then most of them were fired, and now there is this big thing about if who fired them had that power to do so, even though the people wanted them fired. It's rather complicated, I should really find an English article about it to ensure I am getting it. Politics here are a lot different than the states. Their constitution is rather flakey, and it seems it is often not followed that closely. There seems to be this attitude of whatever we feel like doing we will. I think the best example of how different they think is something Paula told me her husband Dennis, who is Ecuadorian, said. He asked why if so many people in the United States did not like President Bush they don't just go throw rocks at the white house and get him kicked out. That is so hard for me to fathom, even if I did totally hate a politician I would never consider that, but here it is just the way they do things. Don't worry it sounds more violent than it is, to them it is all rather matter of fact. Thankfully it does not look as though the newest president here will be kicked out. The people seem to like him a lot, they are just frustrated with a lot of the corruption within congress right now.

Not a lot else to report. Today was pretty mundane, it is Monday afterall. I was having one of those days where I hate being a gringa. Usually I am pretty good at ignoring the yells and whistles and such, but today I ran into a few really annoying men. In particular this group of businessmen in suits who were doing this clucky sound they do here to girls. It was just like seriously it looks like you have a good job, a respectable life, why must your patronize the blond girl. Eh it is not that bad, sometimes it just really gets on my nerves to not be able to go anywhere without someone reminding you that you are so very different.

Well I think I am going to read for a bit then go to bed. Chao everyone.

No hay comentarios: