domingo, 4 de febrero de 2007

Friday at work we went and reviewed some new restaurants and hotels in person, which was interesting. Definitely good for practicing your spanish. I am slowly getting better, but I find myself getting frustrated by not being able to say what I want to and just going back to english. Afterward we went to an English pub for a few pints. Then John, the other intern and I met up with some girls from his hostel. One was from Germany and the other two were from Holland. They were all really nice, so it ended up being a fun. I didn't get hit on by any creepy Ecuadorian men either, which is always a perk.

Yesterday, was both a good day and a bad day. Lindsey, a girl that lives with me, invited me to go to some hot springs an hour away with a couple of her friends. But, we missed the bus and did not get to go. So we decided to go to the mall which was nearby, and get something to eat. The restraunt was practically empty, since it was only 4pm. I had my bag under the table in between my feet, and suddenly I noticed it was gone. I guess a man and two kids had come in to eat, but then left really quickly and Lindsey remembered seeing the kids walk by. Sucky. Not the end of the world, I did not have much cash in there, and I am not hurt or anything, but it still stinks. It reminded me that you can never be careful enough while traveling. Afterward Lindsey was supposed to meet her friend Pat to go to a swim meet of Mundo, an Ecuadorian they go to school with. I decided to go, rather then go home and mope. It was really interesting. It was at this super swanky country club outside of the city. Mundo is really nice, and a great swimmer, so it was cool to watch that. Sort of random, but ah well.

I am often struck by the extremes here in Ecuador. It is so strange to see immense wealth and immense poverty within blocks of each other. To get your purse stolen by someone who is clearly desparate, then go to a place where everyone is wearing American clothes because they shop in Miami (this is apparantly the really cool place to go shopping here). This experience is definitely making me look at my life and the world in a different way.

Today I did my laundry and watched the Divincci Code, which wasn't bad. Dryers are not very common in Ecuador, so I had to hang my clothes on the roof to dry. It is really sunny, so they dried fast, but it still is sort of funny. I feel like I am in the olden days. Now I think I am going to go get some food with Beth, another girl that lives here.

I hope you are all staying warm wherever you are, I hear it is very cold in the midwest.

2 comentarios:

aimee dijo...

ha it has been unbearably cold! i think we are on the 7th consecutive day of below zero weather. it sucks! sorry to hear about your purse being stolen. luckily nothing important was in there. it is unfortunate though, that when you try to be more trusting it doesn't always matter. well, have a good day!

Heidi dijo...

Erin, sorry to hear your purse being stolen. That's no fun. It sounds like you're having a good time, though, learning and experiencing new things. Happy to hear it! You're right about it being cold in the midwest...I cannot wait until spring comes and it warms up. Anyway, hope you're enjoying your time in Ecuador. We miss you at the Tech Desk. I noticed that McDaniel still emails you when he sends stuff to the Tech Desk 3 students. He he. Well, hope to read more of your adventures soon. Take care!